This Organic, Fair for Life, non-GMO Certified sugar is from the Native Green Cane Project in Brazil. The Green Cane Project, launched in 1987, is the largest sustainable agriculture project in the world and has:
- Pioneered green cane harvesting (replacing the destructive practice of burning cane fields).
- Replaced synthetic fertilizers and pesticides with recycled waste streams from production and natural pest and disease control.
- Planted over 1 million trees to create 11,000 acres of greenways or "biodiversity islands" on its farms to attract beneficial wildlife.
- Installed cogeneration equipment to power the mill and surrounding communities.
- Implemented many innovative environmental and social programs.
Today, the Green Cane Project farms over 22,000 hectares (54,400 acres) of certified organic cane fields. The results have been incredible:
- 100% Carbon Neutral – from the fields to our warehouses in North America and Europe
- Cogeneration alone saves over 25,000 metric tons of CO2 saved per year
- Increased yields vs. conventional cane fields
- Higher resistance to drought and pest damage
- 23 times the biodiversity of conventional fields, including many rare species
- Many cutting-edge labor and social programs for employees and the community
As you can see in the photos, it is not perfectly white or bleached, but quite light. From what I can tell, Organic and “white” do not go together, at least in sugar. This sugar has a good clean flavor. There are no heavy molasses or other off flavors you sometimes get with darker, unrefined sugars.